the idea was promoted by then mayor of Tel Aviv, Meir Dizengoff, with whose encouragement two post-secondary education facilities were opened during the British Mandate period: The Biological-Pedagogical Institute and the School of Law and Economics.
the idea was eventually realized when the Municipal Council of Tel Aviv-Jaffa decided to transform the Biological-Pedagogical Institute into the Academic Institute of Natural Sciences, under the leadership of Prof. Heinrich Mendelssohn, which would “form the core of a future university.” It was located at the Abu Kabir campus in southern Tel Aviv, and had 24 students in its first year.
an additional institute was founded in Tel Aviv: the Academic Institute of Jewish Studies. The University library was founded, new study tracks were opened, a teaching staff was formed, laboratories and classrooms were built on the Abu Kabir campus and an administration was established.
In the 1955-1956 academic year, the two institutes had 130 students.
Meanwhile, the cornerstone of the School of Law and Economics’ permanent home, the Trubowicz Building, was laid in Ramat Aviv.
The building was constructed.
the University received full accreditation from the Council for Higher Education, opened new faculties and moved to the new campus in Ramat Aviv under the direction of Dr. George Wise.
the University opened two more faculties: Engineering and Arts, and in 1972, Dr. George Wise completed his term as TAU President and was elected as the first Chancellor. The University now had nine faculties with 12,000 students.
TAU it was the 4th youngest among the world’s top 100 universities.
Tel Aviv University is now Israel's largest and most comprehensive institution of higher learning, with over 30,000 students studying across nine faculties, 29 schools and 98 departments. TAU's rise as a world-renowned university in a mere fifty years demonstrates the power of vision and dedication.